We can create a ready list of OmniFocus perspectives in DEVONthink. With a quick key command, we can then jump to that exact location in OmniFocus:
An anonymous reader emailed me to describe this interesting use case for combining DEVONthink and OmniFocus. Since:
- DEVONthink offers a quick means getting to linked items and
- OmniFocus offers links to just about any aspect of the program,
we can combine them quite nicely.
There is some non-intuitive setup involved, but not much.
To Link to a Perspective
To link to a perspective:
- Open a text editor like TextEdit
- Type the link desired, for example, “omnifocus:///perspective/Current”
- Select the written link
- Copy (Command-c) the link so that it is on the system clipboard:
- Open the DEVONthink Sorter
- Select the Web Clip panel:
- Select “the URL on the clipboard” option:
- Select a desired location or create a new one:
- Select “Add” in the bottom right or type Command-s when done
To Link to a Project, Tag, Task, or Folder
To link to a project or anything that has a Copy as Link function available:
- Secondary-click or Control-click the project to access the contextual menu
- Select “Copy as Link”:
- Open TextEdit
- Paste (Command-v) the link
- Delete the extra (Return) at the end of the line:
- And do the same as above starting with “Open the DEVONthink Sorter”.
- Rename the file as would be useful:
A Faster Setup
Consider lining several up for a quicker sequence of copy and paste:
You’ll now have DEVONthink items ready to quickly connect to OmniFocus:
To use any one of them:
- Select the desired destination
- Type Shift-Command-o
DEVONthink will open OmniFocus to exactly where you want it to.
While you could have a single folder that holds a ton of OmniFocus connections, it may be more useful to have a group in DEVONthink that relates to any particular project to which they are associated.
For example, if you have a section in DEVONthink related to a rental location, you could have a group with links to:
- Tenant Agenda items
- Manager Agenda items
- Building Errand items
Thank you anonymous reader!